Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Almost time to garden again

Hellebore, Western Washington University

On Saturday, Melanie and I took a nice walk around the campus of Western Washington University, and I spied this pretty flower. The only reason I knew its name is because one of my blogging friends in Seattle put several varieties of this lovely plant on her blog. I discovered this website while trying to find out which variety this one is, with no luck. What I did learn, however, is that there are many faces to the hellebore:

It’s not one plant, but a family of approximately 20 species, plus various subspecies. And it’s often called the Lenten, Christmas, or Winter rose.

 Many of them hang down and don't show their pretty undersides, unless you pick one up and turn it towards your face. I gasped at some of the pretty versions that exist. Are you familiar with this flower?

Yesterday was Pi Day, March 14, so when I went to our local co-op with my friend John, I saw they were selling some unique pies, and so of course I had to buy this one.

Blackberry Pi

Now what does one do with an entire pie when you only have one other person to share it with? Expand that number, of course. We took it to our regular coffee shop, where the barista was nice enough to cut it into eight pieces and keep some for the staff, while John and I enjoyed some reasonably sized pieces of this very delicious blackberry pie, not too sweet. We felt we had celebrated the date in just the right spirit.

And very soon now, I will begin to plan what I want to raise in my 2021 vegetable garden, as well as prepare my front porch for the flowers I plant there each year. I have been pretty lazy lately and let things slide, but the burgeoning spring is arousing my interest in getting started. Time to garden! Yes!

:-)

Post a Comment

0 Comments